Yifu Qiu, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Immunity and Metabolism
Room 221, Wang Kezhen Building
Peking University, Beijing, China 100871
Dr. Yifu Qiu obtained his B.S. in Bioengineering from Nanchang University in 2000 and his Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2010. He then conducted his postdoctoral training at University of California, San Francisco from 2010 to 2015. In November 2015, he joined IMM (Institute of Molecular Medicine, PKU) and CLS (Peking-Tsinghua Joint Center for Life Sciences) as a full-time investigator.
I. First or co-first author papers
3. Yifu Qiu, Khoa D. Nguyen, Justin I. Odegaard, Xiaojin Cui, Xiaoyu Tian, Richard M. Locksley, Richard D. Palmiter, Ajay Chawla. Eosinophils and Type 2 Cytokine Signaling in Macrophages Orchestrate Development of Functional Beige Fat. Cell, 157, 1292–1308 (2014).
Featured in Previews, Cell, 157, 1249-50 (2014); Research Highlight, Nature Reviews Immunology,14, 433 (2014); Research Highlights, Nature Medicine, 20, 714 (2014); News & Opinion, The Scientist, Jun. 5, 2014.
2. Khoa D. Nguyen*, Yifu Qiu*, Xiaojin Cui, Y. P. Sharon Goh, Julia Mwangi, Tovo David, Lata Mukundan, Frank Brombacher, Richard M. Locksley & Ajay Chawla. Alternatively activated macrophages produce catecholamines to sustain adaptive thermogenesis. Nature, 480, 104-108 (2011). (*equal contribution).
Featured in News & Views, Nature, 480, 46-47 (2011); Select, Cell, 147, 1427 (2011); Editor’s choice in immunology, The Scientist, Feb. 1, 2012.
1. Yifu Qiu, Ting Mao, Yongliang Zhang, Mengle Shao, Jia You, Qiurong Ding, Yan Chen, Dongmei Wu, Dong Xie, Xu Lin, Xiang Gao, Randal J. Kaufman, Wenjun Li, Yong Liu. A crucial role for RACK1 in regulation of glucose-stimulated IRE1alpha activation in pancreatic beta-cells. Science Signaling 3, ra7 (2010).
Highligted in Perspective, Science Signaling 3, pe7 (2010).
II. Co-author papers
8. Xiao-Yu Tian, Kirthana Ganeshan, Cynthia Hong, Khoa D. Nguyen, Yifu Qiu, Jason Kim, Rajendra K. Tangirala, Peter Tonotonoz, Ajay Chawla. Thermoneutral Housing Accelerates Metabolic Inflammation to Potentiate Atherosclerosis but Not Insulin Resistance. Cell Metabolism, 23, 1–14, (2016).
7. Min-Woo Lee, Justin I Odegaard, Lata Mukundan, Yifu Qiu, Ari B Molofsky, Jesse C Nussbaum, Karen Yun, Richard M Locksley, Ajay Chawla. Activated Type 2 Innate Lymphoid Cells Regulate Beige Fat Biogenesis. Cell, 160, 74–87 (2015).
6. Mengle Shao, Bo Shan,Yang Liu, Yiping Deng, Cheng Yan, Ying Wu, Ting Mao, Yifu Qiu, Yubo Zhou, Shan Jiang, Weiping Jia, Jingya Li, Jia Li, Liangyou Rui, Liu Yang and Yong Liu. Hepatic IRE1α regulates fasting-induced metabolic adaptive programs through the XBP1s-PPARα axis signalling. Nature Communications, 5:3528 (2014).
5. Amin Khalifeh Soltani, William McKleroy, Stephen Sakuma, Yuk Yin Cheung, Kevin Tharp, Yifu Qiu, Andreas Stahl, Ajay Chawla, and Kamran Atabai. Mfge8 is a central regulator of fatty acid uptake and obesity. Nature Medicine, 20(2):175-83 (2014).
4. Jose Barreto Campello Carvalheira, Yifu Qiu, Ajay Chawla. Blood Spotlight on Leukocytes and Obesity. Blood, 122(19):3263-7 (2013). (review).
3. Khoa D. Nguyen, Sarah J. Fentress, Yifu Qiu, Karen Yun, Jeffery S. Cox, Ajay Chawla. Circadian gene Bmal1 regulates diurnal oscillations to Ly6Chi inflammatory monocytes. Science, 341, 1483-1488 (2013). (Research Article).
2. Ting Mao, Mengle Shao, Yifu Qiu, Jialiang Huang, Yongliang Zhang, Bo Song, Qiong Wang, Lei Jiang, Yi Liu, Jing-Dong J. Han, Pengrong Cao, Jia Li, Xiang Gao, Liangyou Rui, Ling Qi, Wenjun Li and Yong Liu. PKA phosphorylation couples hepatic inositol-requiring enzyme 1alpha to glucagon signaling in glucose metabolism. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 108, 15852-15857 (2011).
1. Dongmei Wu, Yifu Qiu, Xiang Gao, Xiao-bing Yuan, Qiwei Zhai. Overexpression of SIRT1 in mouse forebrain impairs lipid/Glucose metabolism and motor function. Plos One, 6, e21759 (2011).